New Electric Service or Service Upgrade

To obtain electric service from WW&LC, the following steps should be followed.

1.   Permanent or Upgrade Service
During the design phase of a project that will require a new or change in existing electrical service, stop in at the WWLC office located at:

221 16th Street South
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Or contact us by calling (715) 423-6328.

Please be ready to provide the following information:

  • service address
  • service type (single or three phase and voltage desired)
  • service size
  • service class (residential, commercial, industrial)
  • expected project timeline
  • load calculations
  • copy of the certified survey or plot plan of the property where the service will be required
  • a map with dimensions, including:
    • building foot plan
    • desired service location
    • nearest road
    • nearest WW&LC Electric Distribution facility
    • wetland, if any

Before any work begins, the proper city, village, township, county, and state permits shall be obtained. For work being done in the city of Wisconsin Rapids all permits and paperwork must be taken out and filed with the city inspector at City Hall.  For rural areas see your local Uniform Dwelling Code Inspector for rules and regulations.

WW&LC requires that anyone requesting a new service or doing a service upgrade fill out an Electric Service (E.S.) Sheet and an Affidavit card before the utility will do any work.  These forms must be filled out and returned to the engineering department.  If you have any questions please call (715) 423-6328.

Electric Service Sheet
Affidavit Card

2.   Temporary Service
WW&LC will work with the customer to determine the location of the temporary service if one is needed. Temporary service will include a hook-up fee and may require a line extension fee. Temporary service shall not utilize the permanent meter socket.

3.   Line Extension
After a review of the proposed project, WW&LC will notify the customer if a line extension contract is required and if any additional charges will be required to cover the cost to extend electrical service facilities. When this occurs, a contribution is necessary before the line extension can be scheduled for installation.

4.   Easements and Right-of-Way
When easements are required, they must be obtained before construction will be scheduled. The customer requesting service shall obtain permission from those landowners as required. WW&LC will provide the easement document. Any costs involved with obtaining the easement will be the responsibility of the customer requesting the line extension.

5.   Site Preparation (Grading, Tree, Stump, and Brush Removal)
The customer is responsible for the initial clearing of the right-of-way required for line construction on the customer’s property. For overhead lines, trees and brush should be trimmed back 10 feet, plus a four year growth cycle distance on both sides of the line. For underground projects, the grade in the construction area must be within 3 inches of final grade. Also, any trees, brush, and stumps shall be cleared back to make a path of at least 10 feet in width. Any equipment re-installations required because of grade changes will be done at the customer’s expense.

6.   Inspection
Upon completion of the installation, the customer’s electrician shall provide notification to WW&LC of compliance with local, state, and national electrical codes before a service will be connected. Notification will consist of a written approval from the City of Wisconsin Rapids Inspection Department or certified inspector per the Uniform Dwelling Code for rural areas.

7.   Scheduling of the Job
Prior to WW&LC’s scheduling construction on a line extension, the following items, if applicable, are required:

  1. Payment made.
  2. Easements signed.
  3. Site clearing/grading completed.
  4. Service entrance location determined.
  5. Locates cleared.

8.   Service Extensions – Special Requirements
Multi-family, commercial, and industrial line extensions have special requirements. This Service Manual will provide many of the details necessary to obtain service. A short summary of those needs follows below:

1.   Standard service voltages available from WW&LC are:

  • 120/240 volt, three wire, single phase
  • 120/208 volt, four wire, three phase
  • 277/480 volt, four wire, three phase
  • Service voltages other than 120/240-volt single phase must be approved by WW&LC before installation. If the customer requires service at a voltage other than offered by WW&LC, the customer must furnish and maintain the additional equipment to provide this voltage.

2.   Metering
Generally, WW&LC uses (class 200) 200 Amp single and three phase and (class 320) 400 Amp single and three phase self-contained meters.  A Current Transformer Cabinet is needed (supplied by customer) on anything over 400 Amp.

3.   Early Notification of WW&LC
On larger jobs, it is essential for the customer to get WW&LC involved as soon as possible in the design process. A number of issues must be resolved before the service can be installed. Routing of the service, ordering the material, and obtaining the necessary easements and permits all require time. Large jobs may require large transformers or special cable and terminal equipment with lead times exceeding 6 months. If the extension of service involves the installation or upgrading of transmission lines, WW&LC would need to go through a lengthy permitting and authorization procedure with the Wisconsin Public Service Commission.

4.   Transformers
Service will be provided by pole-mounted or pad-mounted transformers. If you are to be served from a pad-mounted transformer, it is essential to consider all the necessary clearance and protection requirements.

5.   Facility Protection
WW&LC requires that certain precautions be taken for the physical protection of metering facilities, service cables, and transformers. Many of these requirements are to meet various electrical safety codes and the remainder are to ensure access to electrical facilities for any necessary repairs or replacements.

6.   Service Conductors
The customer is responsible for the installation and ownership of the service cable beyond the WW&LC meter. The metering is sometimes located in a transformer enclosure, pad-mounted transformer, or secondary service pedestal and the customer owns the service lateral in such cases.  The customer must install the service conductors in a conduit and per applicable codes.