WW&LC’s roots can be traced to the early 1900 with the first water distribution system in present day Wisconsin Rapids. In 1915, the city purchased the Grand Rapids Electric Company. In 1950, the iron removal accelator was placed into operation, immediately improving water quality. In September 1997, a two-hundred thousand gallon retention tank went online as part of an effort to reduce waste water released during the water filtration process. As part of the addition, a new conference room was built above the retention tank. 1999 brought construction of a new two-million gallon water tower constructed on the city’s east side. In 2008 the utility purchased a majority of the distribution system that was serviced by Consolidated Water and Power.