Energy Saving Tips & Tricks
For great energy savings tips and information, check out the links below:
Here are some more great ideas:
- Buy energy efficient light bulbs. They are just as bright, last much longer, and use far less electricity.
- Turn off lights when they are not needed and when you leave a room.
- Plant trees to save energy heating and cooling your home. Position the trees on the southern and western sides of the home.
- Turn off the television when you are not in the room.
- Use the microwave or toaster oven when you can instead of heating your conventional oven.
- Buy appliances with high EER’s.
- Don’t use the heater on the dishwasher. It will take longer for the dishes to dry, but you will use far less energy to do so.
- Only run the dishwasher when there is a full load.
- Unplug devices when not in use. Even though a device is “off”, as long as it is plugged in it will continue to use energy.
- Don’t use the dryer when drying just a few articles of clothing.
- Wrap the hot water heater with an insulation blanket.
- Go easy on the use of hot water.
- Turn the temperature down a few degrees on your hot water heater.
- When cooking items on your stove or in your oven, turn the burners off a few minutes before your items are done. The heat already contained in the burner elements and the items being cooked will be enough to complete your cooking.
- Put on extra clothing or a jacket and turn the heat down.
- When not using the fireplace, keep the damper closed.
- Install programmable thermostats to cut energy use.