New Electric Service or Service Upgrade

Permanent or Upgrade Service

During the design phase of a project that will require a new or change in existing electrical service, stop in at the WW&LC office or contact us by calling (715) 423-6328.

Please be ready to provide the following information:

  • Service address, type, size and class (commercial, residential, or industrial).
  • Expected project timeline.
  • Load calculations.
  • Copy of the certified survey or plot plan of the property where the service will be required.
  • A map with dimensions, including:

    • Building foot plan.
    • Desired service location.
    • Nearest road.
    • Nearest WW&LC Electric Distribution facility.
    • Wetland, if any.

Before any work begins, the proper city, village, township, county, and state permits shall be obtained. For work being done in the City of Wisconsin Rapids, all permits and paperwork must be taken out and filed with the city inspector at City Hall. For rural areas, see your local Uniform Dwelling Code Inspector for rules and regulations.

WW&LC requires that anyone requesting a new service or doing a service upgrade fill out an Electric Service (E.S.) Sheet and an Affidavit card before the utility will do any work. These forms must be filled out and returned to the engineering department. If you have any questions, please call (715) 423-6328.

Electric Service Sheet Affidavit Card